FirstEnergy was in need of a safe and complete demolition of the former coal fired power plant located between the Ohio River and State Route 7. Independence Excavating joined with Precision Environmental and Bet-Tech Construction Company to complete the large demolition and abatement in a safe and timely manner.
Precision Environmental (PE) began work by removing and recycling large amounts of asbestos containing material. PE also disposed of ballasts containing PCB’s, mercury switches and other hazardous and non-hazardous oils and chemicals.
Independence Excavating performed the demolition of the following structures:
· Eight (8) Large Capacity Steam Boilers
· Outdoor Switch Yard
· Coal Handling Equipment (Conveyors and In-River Coal Unloader)
· Coal Tunnels
· Five (5) Electrical Turbines and Condensers
· Implosion of a 854’ Tall Concrete Exhaust Stack
· Three (3) In-River Pump Houses
**Click to watch the demolition of the R.E. Burger Plant.